What a deal! June Sign Up Special

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Simple Seasonal Snowman coaster tile blog candy




Isn't he adorable??? I never thought I'd find another snowman who could take the place of my beloved Frosty but this snowman is the closest I have come so far. Stick with me to the end to find out how you can win one of these cute coaster tiles for yourself!

This guy looks huge in person...and he is pretty good sized! He's in the current Holiday Mini and the set is called Simple Seasonal Thanks....the image comes with a kid's thank you note included in the middle of his tummy but I carved it right out when I mounted the image so I can use it when I want it but easily omit it if I don't. Much easier than trying to avoid inking it up, don't you think?

Anyway, stamping this big guy on cardstock is a bit challenging because he pretty much takes up the whole card and if you miss you could end up with a headless snowman...or an amputee if you miss on the other end? But since the tile in only 4"x4" there is no way the whole image is going to fit so I stamped just the top portion of him. Instead of trying to place the stamp on the tile and position it well, I turned the snowman rubber side facing up and inked it with Black StazOn ink then took the tile and pressed it onto the image so he would be placed approximately where I wanted him. He might be listing a bit to one side...that's Navy talk for leaning...sorry, the Navy terminology sometimes slips out, what can I say? I'm retired Navy, you know!

After I stamped him in black, I colored him in with craft inks and a blender pen which worked out just great....the coaster has to be heat set to be permanent but that's easy enough. His empty belly looked a bit ...well, hungry? Definitely empty! So I created a set of buttons which match his hat and scarf to fill in the space.... looks much better than coal, doesn't it?

So, this particular coaster is all gussied up in a cello bag with a ribbon and gift tag because I donated four of these coasters for a Scott Air Force Base spouses' group fundraiser auction last week called the annual "Make It, Bake It or Fake It" luncheon. Members bring items that are handmade, home baked OR cute and/or tasty store bought items and put them out for the "auction". Hopefully all of my little snowmen went to a good home but just in case they were all wrapped up ready to use as a cute gift for coworkers or friends.

I will be making some more of these coasters to sell at a craft fair coming up on December 5th at the YMCA in O'Fallon, IL....so if you are in the area, please come by the Y for the event and stop and say hi. Of course, if you want to make some of these great little coasters for yourself don't wait too long as the Simple Seasonal Thanks stamp set in the Holiday Mini is only guaranteed to be available thru Jan 4th. I am crossing my fingers that he will show up in the next catalogue but you just never know!
And now the blog candy info! Please leave me a comment here on my blog about why you like snowmen and I will choose one of the entries to go to a loving home on December 1st. This will not be a random draw, I will actually be reading these! If you don't want to take a chance on missing out on the snowman, why not visit my Stampin' UP! storefront at http://www.janhoyt.stampinup.net/ and tuck this little snowman into your shopping cart, don't forget to check out the amazing Holiday Extravaganza sale (up to 50% off many bundles of SU product! I picked up some great corduroy buttons for half price and some of the beautiful striped grosgrain at a great price as well) and the Clearance Rack tomorrow while you are waiting for your Thanksgiving turkey to bake. I will even e-mail "coaster stampin' instruction sheet" as a thank you gift for all online orders placed between now and the end of the Holiday Mini if you just drop me a note and request it.

Hope that you all have a very happy Thanksgiving and a little free time to stamp over the week-end! Jan

17 comments:

Brenda said...

Lovely Jan! TFS Brenda

Cynthia Ferenz said...

I LOVE IT! I like the fact that one simple stamp filled in (or appears to) the majority of the tile...most images seem too small and get lost on them. Now I have to add that stamp to my wish list - LOL!

Cynthia Ferenz
Fredericksburg, VA
stampindragon@verizon.net
Proud Parent of 2 Soldiers

Wendy Hawkinson said...

Oh Jan, this is easy. I love snowmen, because growing up in Wisconsin we are sort of in a love/hate relationship with snow and cold. BUT snowmen never complain about the weather when they have to stand outside all day and night. In fact, most of the snowmen I have seen haven't had much more than a scarf and a hat to wear and they always seem to have a big smile! Now I know if you stuck me outside in nothing but my scarf and hat--I wouldn't be smiling. I love snowmen! lol

Happy Thanksgiving,
Wendy Hawkinson
www.gotrubberwillstamp.blogspot.com

Connie Babbert said...

Jan...your snowman coaster is awesome! I am just in LOVE with this stamp...I've used it so much already and haven't even made my Christmas tags yet!

stampinupnewsletter said...

Jan,
I love these tiles! I am trying to make some myself! How did you color the snowman's hat? Did you bake and then seal? I would love to get your insider tips!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Caroline Morgan
my3sons837@aol.com

Susan Saunders said...

Wow oh wow, do I feel stupid! I've been trying to figure out how fellow stampers have been using hte snowman without the thank you note in the middle. Now I'm off to my craft room to carve out his middle. Thanks so much! Good luck with your YMCA event. I just chaired the silent auction for our local YMCA fundraiser. I believe in the mission of the Y.

Susan Saunders said...

I forgot to say why I love snowmen . . . I love snowmen because I used to make them when I was younger and living in the cold D. C. area. I have such wonderful memories of making snowmen with my mother and father. Now I live just outside of Tampa and have to make "sand" men instead. Not quite the same. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Great snowman tile! I have a friend who L O V E S snowmen, and I'd gift this to her. Not for Christmas, but a "just because" gift.
- Mary
m garvey at hvc dot rr dot com

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Just looking at e-mails after our SUPPER-and I love, I mean LOVE your tiles.
I've made some too--but don't know how much to charge. Could you please let me know--I'm at:
n burk hard@ verizon. net

Thanks much, Nola
(p.s.---delete spaces in e-mail above!)

Karen said...

I just love it when someone looks at something and then comes up with a completely different way to use the stamp. I love snowman and this tile is just adorable.

eileen hull said...

Adorable coasters Jan! And yes, great hostess this gift for this time of year. Hope your sons are doing well- we have our Coast Guard daughter here with us and son is back from Iraq two weeks ago! These times are very treasured... Thanks for sharing your great project!

Rhonda said...

This is adorable! I live in snow country...so although I get tired of snow, I can't pass up a good snowman..they are always cute. And my 5 year old got a "snowman kit" and can't wait for the snow to get here!

Phyllis Freese said...

I love snowmen for several reasons. I'm retired from teaching when snow meant a holiday from school when I could go out with the kids to make our own snowman. Now that they've moved onto their own homes, I've substituted stamping snowman for braving the cold and wet. I can stay warm & dry inside stamping away. Snow isn't even required, but it's a great incentive. Winning a snowman coaster would mean that I could enjoy a cup of hot chocolate with marshmallows while stamping my snowmen cards.
Really cute!

theneon said...

Thinking of the turkey, must have prompted you to "carve out the middle" of this delightful snowman. What a clever idea -- now you have two stamps! You have made a delightful coaster and I don't know how to convince you that one of these should be mine -- except to say, that this would be the closest I get to a snowman living in Phoenix. Thanks for sharing your great idea. And thanks for your service to our country through you and your husband and children. Are you familiar with the Operation Write Home?

Tracy Meece said...

Awesome gift. I don't know why I didn't think to cut those words out. When I saw him in the mini catty I wondered what they heck I would use him for...thanks for adding yet another item to my ever growing wish list.
The lady that gets your coasters is going to be getting an extra special gift for the holidays...a gift to cherish forever. Awesome job as always!

Anonymous said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog..

Betty said...

OMG! I would never have bought this stamp! But, since you have been a super enabler (I miss Frosty, too) and am making coaster in a class --on to my order he goes!
Maybe I'll win yours and I won't have to make me a set?
thanks for your idea
Betty
bgtodd2003 at yahoo dot com

Hit Counter