What a deal! June Sign Up Special

Monday, May 9, 2011

Plane and Simple...bye, bye!

What a simple but fun "manly" card!   I love this stamp set from the Occasions Mini, that means the stamp is no longer available but my DH is a retired Navy pilot (he flew helicopters but they all start out with small planes, right?)  and my oldest son is an Air Force  F16 pilot so I knew this set was a "must have" for my family!  Maybe we will get lucky and this set will make it into the upcoming 2011-2012 catty which will be released in early July???

The plane is just stamped in black on a white panel with some Pacific Point sponged around the edges for interest, then the stamped panel is layered onto a slightly larger black panel with the birthday greeting tucking into the corner very nicely. 

The stamped panel piece is  layered on a panel of Pacific Point with a black strip of "ric rac" trim from the Tasteful Trim Big Shot die underneath the stamped panel.  Before attaching the stamped image I ran it through the  Big Shot textile-like "square lattice" embossing folder...it is amazing how much better things look when they have been texturized into the cardstock!  AND since there was a layer on top of it anyway, I was able to cheat a bit and just put about 1.5" of the ric rac on either side of the top layer....that makes a 12" strip of  Ric Rac go a lot farther!

To finish the card, the Pacific Point layer was adhered to a folded black card so that just the slightest edge of black showed underneath....I forgot to take a photo of the inside but I put a white panel inside to provide a place to write and stamped the leather flight helmet with goggles in the bottom corner just because I could...also stamped another birthday greeting on the inside panel. 

This card is strongly inspired by a beautiful card I saw online made by Rachel Brumley, a very talented fellow demonstrator, sometime in the last month or two...I printed it out so I would be sure to remember to whom I could give credit.  Amazingly I remembered her name, although I can't find the correct link to her blog to share her artwork for the stamp set so I might have seen the share on a demonstrator only email list rather than her blog.  Regardless of where I found it, the card was definitely inspired by Rachel's artwork although she  used the larger "wavy" ric rac design in a horizontal presentation while I used the smaller and more angular "ric rac"  design in a vertical presentation.  Thank you, Rachel, for sharing such a strikingly simple card idea!

No comments:

Hit Counter