Saturday, May 7, 2011
I bought the Build a Blossom set and punch when they were first available for demonstrators to preorder and can you believe that it took me until my April stamp club meeting to introduce them both to ink and cardstock? Yes, shameful...I know! but they are now well loved and I don't plan to stop using them now.
The two cards I'm sharing are very similar....I used a brad for the center of the one up top, along with sponging some pink along the edges of the Framed Tulip embossing. It accidentally got a smudge on it while I was stamping and rather than trying to remake the card ...well, why waste? I just "fixed it" by sponging Melon Mambo all around the whole card. I like sponging anyway, so why not? The flower in the sample at the bottom has an Old Olive button for the center of the one below and no sponging.
Both cards were done using Pretty in Pink cardstock stamped in Melon Mambo with the Build a Blossom stamp set, gives it a nice "two toned" look and I really liked it. The leaves were Wild Wasabi stamped with Versamark and punched out, that is pretty much it. Assembling the petals is really pretty easy...I got some tips from looking at various blogs online and sort of took bits and pieces of several of them to come up with this card....they all sort of merged together and while I got a lot of good tips from various sources, I think the card that inspired me most was one shared on a Splitcoast Stampers gallery done by kyann22, see below for a link to that card and thanks to everyone else who has shared ideas for using this particular stamp set.
Back on track, to do the assembly of the flower, I followed the online tips and punched out a circle (one of the smaller sized ones, 1 1/4th inch will do) to use as a "base" for sticking down the big petals. Any color is fine, it won't show once the card is done. I found that I liked the uneven number of 5 petals better than a crowded 6 petal bloom. They say odd numbers are more natural so that's what I did...putting the petals so that the sides touched each other gave me the result I preferred. The tips kind of overlap in the center but I didn't like bare spaces in between the petals.