What a deal! June Sign Up Special

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Belated Thanksgiving greetings and some extreme stamping!

Yes, it's been a crazy month and other than posting some of the great Stampin' Up! specials I have been remiss in sharing any actual artwork.  But don't think that means I haven't been stamping because I have had a couple of classes and a club meeting and I actually took photos of some of our projects!  As I may have mentioned before, I am not technologically minded and get frustrated with the photography, watermarking etc.  Anyway, I hope that you all had a great Thanksgiving holiday...we have your youngest at home from school for the holiday and we're looking forward to our "middlest" son and his wife dropping in to join us tomorrow before they head back to Oklahoma.  You might remember that I mentioned they visited back in September along with their adorable puppies so we are looking forward to seeing them all for a little bit.  Our oldest son and his wife are getting the Reader's Digest condensed version of military life as they returned from their honeymoon this summer, moved to Japan and he deployed  to Iraq almost immediately so they are spending their first holidays separated by miles but together in spirit.  We even got a little Thanksgiving video clip from him this morning so this homesick mama felt blessed to hear from and see him.  That said, here is a new sample!

So, without any further adieu....this is a really simple card I made  with some friends to be sent overseas for Operation Write Hom which is very much like another organization I have mentioned previously called From Our Hearts, both organizations accept donations of blank handmade greeting card then send them overseas to be used by our troops in remote assignments (and I do mean remote!) to send mail home to friends and family. 

Don't you think this card would be great for masculine birthdays?  I'm thinking of the Jr Hi crowd and maybe even a little older.  And definitely perfect for a skateboarding fan! 

Does a card get any easier than this?  I think not!  Working together with two other stampers, we cranked out about 25 of these plus 25 of another card style in less than 2 hours plus had time to work on an additional project. All told,I think that our group made almost 100 cards that morning.  And here we are, the whole motley crew (see photo below) working hard on the cards!  My friend Lori (in the white shirt, second from the left) volunteers at the community center in Mascoutah, IL so on her volunteer day, she really volunteers!  She is standing by to answer the phone, greet the very occasional guest AND stamp cards...she even brings more volunteers!  Other volunteers are members of the Scott AFB OSC and a local meet up group of paper crafters.

  Clean and simple is my favorite thing when it comes to mass producing cards!  This one uses a single stamp called  Extreme Skateboarding (#115179 for $8.95)  It's a bold image so you have to ink it up good but if you are stamping and it doesn't come out perfectly that's when you pull out your handy dandy matching SU marker and patch it right up...ahh, the joys of matching inkpads and markers!  I used up part of my stash of retired textured cardstock from last year's "In Colors"...it's Dusty Durango (sort of a cross between the retired Really Rust and the brand new Cajun Craze) and it looks so sharp with black! Since the textured cardstock has a nice...well,  textured finish (duh!)  I didn't think it needed anything else other than a layer of black cardstock to make that color pop so I kept it simple.  Sponged some Dusty Durango around the edges then layered it on black before attaching to the Dusty Durango base.   Of course, you've gotta have a sentiment so I went with a nice birthday phrase from On Your Birthday (item number 111664).  This stamp set is $33.95 for a set of 12,  but if you have this set I promise that you will never be hurting for an appropriate birthday greeting when you need one!

No comments:

Hit Counter