What a deal! June Sign Up Special

Monday, January 25, 2016

Snappy little penguin dude!


I just love this perky little penguin....he is as cute as can be AND has a snappy top hat to wear when he wants to dress up for special occasions! I'm a big fan of penguins, can you tell?  ;-)   I love that he has matching framelits so he's easy to cut out and mount on another layer if desired, but he still looks just great all by himself stamped right on the cardstock!  In this case, he was stamped on white and cut out or he'd have a well tanned belly which would be weird for a penguin, even in Florida.  

Anyway, this little guy comes with  several wintery friends ( "Snow Place" has several snowmen and the penguin and a variety of "accessories" for both species) so he's never lonely.  This set was originally introduced in the 2015 Holiday Mini which retired at the end of 2015 BUT the stamp set was carried over into the current Occasions mini and is still available to order with or without the matching framelits which also has lots of cute "accessories" for the snowmen (yes, more than one) and Mr. Penguin here.  Of course, if you get it, you will definitely want to take advantage of the 15% discounted price when you combine the stamp set with the framelits bundle....unless you really like "fussy cutting" by hand!

This card was easy and went fast....first I stamped both of the items which needed to be cut out with framelits (the adorable top hat and Mr. Penguin), I punched the little flower out of a scrap of  decorative paper so small that I can't even identify it from the photo.  After stamping the penguin on Whisper White cardstock, I used a Tangerine marker (from the Bold Brights color family of markers....it is not available as a singleton) to color in his feet and beak.  It's just a bit easier for me to color things in while they are on a larger piece of cardstock...they don't wiggle around as much, even the well behaved penguins.  ;-)  Then I diecut the top hat and the penguin.  The card was lacking a splash of color so I used a small strip of Tangerine Washi tape (just tear it off, it looks good that way!) and adhered it across the bottom of the card before I attached Mr Penguin and his top hat to the card (use whatever adhesive you prefer for the penguin....I usually go with the Snail adhesive since it's handy and not messy) then I attached the top hat with a stampin' dimensional to give it a little depth..the flower accent piece with a tiny rhinestone went onto the hat.

The "time to celebrate" sentiment stamped in Memento Tuxedo Black worked well for this card since my class was post Christmas and my students at the FishHawk Recreation Center in The Villages, FL like to have plenty of birthday cards on hand, but there are multiple other cute winter themed sentiments which would work as well.  When making the card, I decided he looked a lonely little penguin all by himself on the card so I added a few snowflakes (included in this set) stamped in Versamark ink to fill in some space, then used a black Project Life fine tip journaling marker  to add  random dots and dashes around the outline of the card.  In my opinion, that little hand scribbled frame made the card look finished. 

This card started as a single layer at a CAS class  ("clean and simple") in December and he was adorable!  Later, I wanted to use the card samples to make a couple of cards to send to a couple of my friends who had winter birthdays so I added a layer of coordinating Tangerine Tango cardstock color under the Crumb Cake color base and loved how it coordinated with the Washi Tape and the marker used to color in his snout and feet.  It was adorable both ways but sadly, I neglected to take a photo of the CAS version so please just use your imagination, ok?

Here are the supplies (below) needed for this card if you know anyone interested in making it,  ;-)  If you don't already have a Stampin' Up! demonstrator, I would love to fill that void.  You can order directly from my online webstore  here.   Thanks for popping in to see my card...I would love to hear what you think of it if you'd  care to leave a comment!



No comments:

Hit Counter