What a deal! June Sign Up Special

Thursday, April 10, 2008

April Stamp club projects

This "one sheet wonder" brag book is one of the projects we'll be doing at my April stamp club meetings. The inside is made from one sheet of 12x12 cardstock which is cut and scored then folded to form one accordian style book. I have done this before with an 8.5x11" sheet of cardstock from a pattern I found on DIY.com but I found it much easier to use the 12x12 format for this project.

One side of this book has a graduation "congrats" theme from the stamp set "Great Grads" while the other side has a Father's Day theme using an image from the stamp set All Holidays, both sets are in the Stampin' UP! Spring/Summer 2008 catalogue. My stamp clubbers will get to choose which image they prefer or use a different one if neither of those suits their taste. That is the great thing about stamping...it's so easy to individualize something to suit your need by just changing one little stamp!


The inside of the book can be used for journaling or photos and the little index tabs made with the Round Tab punch make it easy to flip through the brag book and can also be stamped with a tiny word stamp if desired. I thought the books would be a cute way to showcase some graduation pictures for family member's graduation or think ahead and be sure to get some great Father's Day photos. A really organized person might actually have some old photos of past Father's Day on hand to add to the book. Please note that I am not one of those organized individuals! ;-)




















These are the projects will also be featured at my April stamp club group meetings. Finally I was able to figure out a project using chipboard and rub ons! It took me long enough! Since many schools have graduation in May, I figured this was as good a time as any for a grad card but I agonized over what colors to choose since it's a graduation themed card and so many schools all have different colors.

In the end, I decided to go with a "universal" graduation color....black and gold (well, ok...Summer Sun!) because it would be suitable for everyone and also because the rub on I was using (the star rub on applied over the chipboard star) was black in color and I just thought it would look nicer in with black elsewhere on the card. The photo on the left is the front of the card unopened, the photo on the right (don't let the colors fool you, that is supposed to be Summer Sun but the color was bleached out by the flash!) is the card when it's opened so you can see the inside plus the chipboard star.

This style of card is called a Flap Fold card and, of course, I got the tutorial for this card from Splitcoaststampers.com which one of my biggest sources of inspiration and a regular cyber-haunt of mine. I painted the chipboard stars with white gesso (acrylic) paint first and after it tried I used a sponge dauber to apply yellow ink. The background was stamped with Print Pattern using So Saffron because I couldn't find my Summer Sun ink pad to save my life so I had to make due with So Saffron but I think it turned out pretty close and I used the same color to apply color to the chipboard star.

Just a word of caution when using Rub Ons....first be sure that you leave the "release" sheet under the rub on until you are ready to apply it otherwise it can stick on any old thing and bye,bye rub on! Also make sure the surface you are using is good and dry so the rub on will stick well. I tried doing mine before the yellow ink had completely dried so it was a little stubborn and didn't want to stick so I had to be very patient and let the star finish drying before it would "take" the rub on well.

Hope you enjoyed seeing this month's projects! Please be patient as I try to figure out the ins and outs of blogging...so far, haven't figured out how to format more than one photo on a post and these seem a bit jumbled to me, but at least I did figure out how to get the copyright info in the pictures! Jan










No comments:

Hit Counter