What a deal! June Sign Up Special

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Tulip Frame with a Twist

This is a very simple little card...but it uses theFramed Tulip embossing folder with a bit of a twist.  I found a blog somewhere (sorry, but I can't remember whose...I will share it later if I remember) where the blogger shared a way to adapt the folder to smaller sizes of cardstock.  The folder is designed to accommodate a 4"x5.25" piece of cardstock to make a perfect frame....beautiful and very useful but not versatile.

Anyway, using her trick for the folder it's possible to emboss different sizes of cardstock so I used it to make a 4x4 size card.  This was sponged with pink and I stamped the Thanks for Caring sentiment and punched it out then layered it with the Designer Label punch, added a little pink butterfly in the corner and voila, the card is done!

To achieve the framed look in different sizes, you just make sure to cut the cardstock so that one of the sides is either 4" or 5.25".  Put it into the folder at one of the corners and run it thru the Big Shot, it will emboss 2 sides of the cardstock.  Removed the embossed piece (remember just 2 sides have been embossed) and move it so that the blank corners of the cardstock are lined up with the opposite corners of the embossing folder.  Line up the existing embossed pattern so that it slips into the grooves of the folder (you will know when it slips in perfectly) then feed the embossing folder back into the Big Shot, this time just advance it about an inch to avoid flattening out the previously embossed areas.

It sounds confusing but it's really easy to do....and it gives you more options for the Framed Tulip folder!  Another great look I have seen is to lay your cardstock across the folder sideways so none of the corners are covered...run it thru the Big Shot and you get a great embossed double border...quick and cute!

ETA:  Ok, it was driving me nuts so I went back and did a search for a video tutorial using this technique so you could see it.  I have NO idea who originally thought up this clever idea but this particular video was done by a fellow Stampin' Up! demonstrator known on the internet as "butternutsage" and here is a link to her video, you can also click the hyperlink in my blog title to get there.  I think!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlVfP7e7mTw

No comments:

Hit Counter