What a deal! June Sign Up Special

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Wish Big, everyone!



This card is so colorful and cheerful, I was inspired by the Splitcoast Stamper (SCS) tutorial of the week taught by "understandblue" earlier this month as well as a sample I saw posted there in the gallery.  Of course, as luck would have it, I can't locate that particular card anymore (done with the "Imagine the Possibilities" image from an SU stamp set called "Word Play") to give credit.  I looked for the DTP gallery as well as the Word Play gallery and don't find it in either place but this card is pretty much the same as one I saw there with a few minor changes.  I used this technique as a sample for one of my June stamp club projects (the one on the left side) but substituted the "my dear, kind and wonderful friend" sentiment from All Holidays since that set is retiring at the end of this week and I won't be able to demonstrate it anymore after that.  It's a hugely versatile set and has been one of my "go to" sets for several years so I will certainly miss it but will probably keep it in my "personal collection" to use for family cards and card ministry projects.  If you don't have this set already, do not pass go and do not collect $200 until you contact your favorite Stampin' Up! demonstrator and order that set!  If you don't have a local demonstrator or if, perhaps, I am your local demonstrator then I would be happy to place that order for you OR you can order it directly from my online webstore at http://www.janhoyt.stampinup.net/, just type in item number 114916 ($34.95) from page 154 of the current 2010-2011 Idea Book and Catalogue.

To make this card, I used an amazinly simple technique....DTP which stands for "direct to paper" meaning just use your inkpads and "drag" them directly onto the cardstock from one side of the white cardstock to the other, if it isn't dark enough just go back over it again until it suits you.  Then choose the next color and drag it across, ok to overlap the previous color too as long as you work from the lightest color to the darkest.  It works best on light colored cardstock, of course...I used Whisper White here but it also looks great on glossy white cardstock but takes a little longer to dry.

The secret to getting the sentiment showing up in white is the clear emboss the greeting on the cardstock before you begin to apply the colors.  You won't be able to see if on the white carstock but the clear embossing powder will protect the white cardstock underneath and it will show up nicely once you apply the color.  One I had the background colors laid down the   If you want the specifics including a photo and video tutorial instruction, it's all right there on splitcoaststampers.com   There is a "clickable" link at the very top of this blog post or you can copy and paste this line below to get there: http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/resources/tutorials/dtp/



!.  I changed the sentiment from the card I was "case'ing" and used Dear, Kind & Wonderful Friend" for stamp club (photo at top left) then substituted the "wish BIG" sentiment from the Word Play set (NOT retiring!) for the card on the right.  I had some extra card kits left after class and have some family birthdays coming up real soon so figured why not get ahead of the game for a change.and have cards done BEFORE the birthday. ;-).
2. I left out one of the colors in the spectrum.
3. I layered my DTP's white cardstock on a slightly larger layer of white cardstock and then layered it on a 1/4th sheet of Basic Black cardstock...nothing makes those colors "pop" like a black background!

No comments:

Hit Counter