What a deal! June Sign Up Special

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Here's a Halloween card for you!

I don't really "get into" Halloween as a big holiday celebration.  Oh, I have a few assorted pumpkins, etc. but I really don't even "decorate" for it anymore. (.gasp!) but I do hand out treats for the kids on Trick or Treat night and sometimes I'll get crazy and send out cards to my family.  Usually, the ones I make for at stamp club....so here is one I did at my September stamp club gathering.  And stand by, family members....you may be seeing something like this in the mail.  Eventually.  But don't hold your breath, ok?

This card used my favorite image from the Holiday Mini "Gift Givers" set....I love that it is perfectly designed to fit into the Decorative Label punch and made for quick easy coloring.    Of cmourse, my inspiration for this card was the fabulous JanTink who shared a great card on Splitcoaststampers and inspired me to make this card.  Hey, I never said I was original or creative, just a darn good copycat!  The spider web is an embossing folder then I took a sponge dauber and applied white craft ink over the "webbing" to make the web show up, it ended up getting on the rest of the black cardstock so I just smeared it right on there....you can definitely tell that it looks "webby".  The black satin ribbon is so easy to use and it fit riggt in with the Halloween theme, don't you think?  I adhered the DSP to the black embossed cardstock (only the bottom part of the web shows) then wrapped the ribbon around and tied it before adhering to the white base layer.

The black layer behind the pumpkin image is SO easy to make.  Punch-a-holic that I am, I do wish we had a slightly larger coordinating punch but alas, there is none so I had to make my own..  Here's how...use the Decorative Label punch to punch out two pieces of black cardstock,  then snip each in  half, one lengthwise (horizontal) and one cross-wise (vertical).  Then you can layer the pieces underneath the punched pumpkin layer to give the appearance of a larger black layer....snip off any parts that are sticking out if you aren't happy with the overall look then as long as you don't flip it over to see the back side, nobody will ever suspect that you have performed a bit of Halloween punch magic!

At any rate, you can see JanTink's beautiful card right here if you would like to check it out,  or just click on the hyperlink in the title of my post, which should take you to straight to her SCS gallery.   Be sure to leave her some love in the way of a comment when you go visit her page. And if you want to leave me a comment too, I would love to hear what you think of the card.

Oh sure, I made a couple of little changes...like using a different DSP (Frightful Sight...or is it Night?), anyway, it's the Halloween Designer Series paper in the 2011-12 Stampin' Up! Idea Book.  Despite "not doing" Halloween, I ordered that DSP because I thought I could use it for more than just Halloween.  Little did I know those cute little patterns on the paper are bats and spiders...lol!  That will teach me to grab my reading glasses when I am ordering DSP out of the catty!  I added a layer of white cardstock as well, makes it easier to stamp a greeting inside.  But you get the picture....it's still a cute Halloween card without being too "spooky" or creepy....and who doesn't like pumpkins this time of year?

Thanks for looking and I hope you liked the card, I will be back later this week with another Halloween card which was featured at my Simply Stampin' 3-4-$5 class in late September! 

No comments:

Hit Counter